Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
If you have a crust recipe that you like, you could certainly use one, but I find this so easy without a crust. This recipe is so simple and works for any meal of the day, is relatively portable, and can even be fancy enough to bring to a gathering or serve to guests.
1 can (14-16 oz) of coconut milk without additives
1-2 T butter or fat for cooking
1 cup diced meat (I prefer ham)
OR diced vegetables (bell pepper, asparagus, greens, or zucchini work especially well)
1 cup of cubed cheese
1/2 tsp salt
other herbs and spices, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat in the coconut milk. Mix in the cubed cheese, salt, and any other herbs or spices that you are using.
3. In a 10 inch skillet (ideally cast iron), melt the fat and saute the onions for several minutes.
4. If you are using vegetables, add them now and saute several more minutes, allowing any moisture to come out (such as with mushrooms).
5. Turn off the heat, add your meat and stir, and then pour the egg mixture over the top.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.