Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Honey Caramels

These are really creamy and delicious, but they are a little soft. It is best to serve them straight out of the fridge. I used raw honey, which I know kills the enzymes, but I buy it in bulk for a better price than "regular" honey. That's why there are flecks of dark in the candy.

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups honey
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup water

Method

Grease a square pan 8x8x2 inches with butter or coconut oil. Heat all ingredients in a three quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until boiling. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture reaches 245 degrees F. on a candy thermometer (firm ball stage). Pour into prepared pan, and chill uncovered until set. Cut pieces as needed.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my these sound wonderful! I will definitely be using these for some of my Christmas goodies! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you buy your honey? I'm trying to find a good raw honey in bulk at a good price. These candies sound yummy. I made the Toffee Candies from Pecanbread.com and they were very good - similar method. However I used half as much honey and they were still super sweet!
    thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I order my raw honey from azurestandard.com, but they have a limited delivery area, and a minimum order amount. Depending on where you are, there might already be a delivery site nearby.

    Yes, these are yummy, but very sweet. Candy is like that :) I can only eat a little bit at a time, but that's probably not a bad thing. I will probably try divinity for Christmas. I'll post if it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your site while searching for a GAPS-friendly candy recipe for my kids. I will definitely be visiting again.

    I do have a question, though. I tried making these yesterday, but they separated in the fridge. I now have a layer of fat with a layer of honey underneath. They taste good, but they're really messy. I have only attempted candy one time prior to this. It was a complete failure. Any idea what I could have done wrong to cause the separation? I did let the candy get to the "soft ball" line on my candy thermometer. Then I let it cool on the counter until it was safe to put in the fridge.

    Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to trying some of your other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these for Easter. Wow. Just wow. They were amazing. It was like eating sweetened condensed milk right out of the can. Delicious! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look good, but they never set even following the recipe to a T, I think there is an error here. I even cooked to hard ball stage, and was rewarded with nice caramel sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey is a tricky ingredient and it absorbs moisture from the air. Making candy with it can be a bit of a toss up. If it was rainy the day you made it, I suspect that was the problem. Next time, if it's humid out, try reducing the wet ingredients.

      I'm glad you got a nice sauce though ;-)

      Delete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.