Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Cinnamon Truffles

I've been looking for ways to get more butter into our diet lately (as an aside, I have to point out that you gotta love a diet that leads you to begin a blog post like that!).  I came up with this simple way to make butter into a nice little snack.

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup butter or ghee (pastured if possible)
1 tsp honey (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
Drop of vanilla extract

To roll the truffles in:
Any combination of shredded coconut or coconut flour, cinnamon (or any other spice you like), or ground nuts or seeds

METHOD:

Cream butter with honey, then mix in the drop of vanilla and cinnamon to taste.  You can add some coconut flour at this point if you want for texture.  Without the flour it is a lot like ganache, adding the flour makes it a bit more like cookie dough.

The next step is to roll it into little balls.  You may need to refrigerate it for awhile to do this, but it will be tough to do because the heat from your hands will melt the butter a bit.  Decide what you want to roll the truffles in- straight ground cinnamon, ground cinnamon mixed with shredded coconut or coconut flour, and straight shredded coconut all work well.  All of those options are in the photo above.

Put whatever you want to roll the truffles in into a small bowl.  Scoop up a small amount of the butter mixture, briefly roll it in your hands, then drop it into the bowl, and continue rolling it in the bowl.  I prefer a ball about 3/4 of an inch across.

Store in the refrigerator when done.

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these! I have gestational diabetes and really need the extra fat to control my blood sugar. And I have a sweet tooth! I am going to try to use stevia and maybe some finally chopped cacao nibs.... Sounds soooo good!

    Eat well! Live well!
    mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were wonderful! Especially wonderful on our Intro GAPS diet. THank you soo much! I appreciate those who have found ways to be creative and share with others!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these with coconut oil, because still sensitive to ghee. My kids and I love them!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look BOMB. Can't wait to make them. This website makes my day every time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh i wish i could figure how to "pinterest" this. But I'll start following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.