Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Turkey Chestnut Stuffing


I love turkey with chestnut stuffing. Shortly before starting the GAPS diet I stockpiled chestnuts in my freezer in anticipation of all the wonderful bread or rice stuffing that I was hoping to eat alongside turkey. Needless to say, I am now working on re-purposing said chestnuts in a more GAPS-friendly way. I have found that the stuffing works alright if I simply stop after sauteing the veggies, herbs and chestnuts in butter, but it still needed something. I had some dark turkey meat left from making meat stock and it occurred to me to try combining the stuffing and turkey into one fabulous dish- "two great things that go great together". Here it is:

Ingredients:

1/2 c butter or ghee
1 onion, diced
3-4 stalks of celery, diced
salt to taste
2 tsp rubbed sage leaf
1 tsp thyme
2 c chestnuts, chopped
1-2 c turkey meat, cut into chunks

Method:

Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet. Add the onions and saute about 5 minutes, until they become translucent. Add the salt and spices.

Add the celery and continue to saute until soft. Then add the chestnuts and turkey and stir until heated through. Adjust seasonings and serve hot.

For a more "rice-like" version, you can add a grated cauliflower instead of the turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.